Life in the modern world and modern workplace is full of surprises. Here are 15 statistics that you won’t be able to believe.
1. Leaving the Bosses, Not the Company
Studies showed that the number one reason for employees quitting their jobs was due to their bosses, not the company. 79% cited “lack of appreciation” for their reason of resignation. A Harvard study showed that 58% of employees trust strangers more than their bosses. Only 42% receive the recognition they desire for their job performance.
2. Short Vacations, Tight Schedules
A study showed that a majority for employees were using 50% or less of their vacation days, mostly due to the fear of falling behind in their work and becoming more stressed on their vacation than working as normal.
3. Health Loss, Weight Gains
Two out of five workers say they’ve gained weight since they started their jobs. This isn’t the only physical health factor. Mental health and emotional wellness has suffered a lot. About 53% of employees say that they’re experiencing some type of depression, anxiety, or unhappiness while at work. Just over 46% of adults will experience some sort of mental illness during their lifetime, but only 41% actually receive professional assistance.
4. Inspire Each Other
Employees have said that the number one thing that will help them with their workplace experience is positive feedback. Recognition is the biggest motivator for humans in the workplace–even over money or promotion.
5. Sanitation and Cleanliness
Studies show that only 19% of people wash their hands after using the restroom, leaving the 81% of people with an average of 200 million bacteria per square inch on your hands. Make sure you’re covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing. Studies show that an average sneeze sends 100,000 germs into the air at a rate up to 100 miles per hour.
6. Financial Organization
With the new generations of modern offices and people, studies show that roughly 95% of people born between 1981-1996 are not saving adequately for retirement and their financial future. 66% are not saving or planning for their retirement at all.
7. Healthy Competition
Studies show that 50% of people work better when there’s added competition and incentive. 25% of the population perform poorly under the pressure, while the remaining 25% reports that it doesn’t affect the employees.
8. Free Food
Full time employees who have access to free, delicious meals are 67% happier in their workplace.
Being happy in the workplace is something that is incredibly important to employees. If you’ve heard that money can’t buy happiness, this statistic proves that: 36% of employees would give $5000 of their yearly salary just to be happy at work. Employees who are happy at work are ten times less likely to take sick days than employees who define themselves as unhappy or depressed in the workplace.
Having friends at work boost employee satisfaction by 50%, and are seven times more likely to be attentive and engaged in their work as a more active and productive employee.
Three million people quit their jobs every month. In another study, 31% of people quit their jobs within the first six months. This is due, once again, to the lack of quality, reliable leadership.
12. Remote Work
Companies that hire freelance and remote workers have a 25% less turnover rate than people who work within the office. Providing flexibility to your employees actually allows more time for them to work, all while decreasing stress and anxiety.
13. The Workplace Pay Gap
There is a large discrepancy between men, women, and minorities in average workplace pay. Women make $0.79 for every $1 that a man makes. Statistically, the median salary for men is 21% higher than for women completing the same job. According to a recent study, equal pay for white women will take until roughly 2059. Black women will have to wait until 2119, and hispanic women until 2224.
14. Ageism in the Workplace
The majority of employees and job seekers believe that ageism begins in their fifties. However, job seekers over the age of 35 cite ageism as the result of having difficulty finding work. Gender discrimination influences ageism too. For women, 72% said that they believe it starts at age 45, while 57% of men felt similarly.
15. Be a Mentor
Employees are struggling with their bosses, so the younger generation that will take up 75% of the workforce by 2025, are looking for mentorship in their workplace. The modern office caters to the newer generations, and the traditional boss model is on its last legs too. Studies show that the archiatic hierarchy and structure of the traditional office is no longer effective on the younger generations.
Connect with the industry’s most experienced team today!